• Lowball cribbage   8 years 38 weeks ago

Hi everyone, Lowball is a blast, you can play it at http://ecribbage.com, just select Cribbage Variations / Lowball.
    We also have lowball tournaments at least once a week!

Damien

• Lowball cribbage   8 years 38 weeks ago

I really wish we would have more side events in the ACC tournaments in lowball. I would argue there is more skill to a lowball game than there is to a straight cribbage game, even moreso when you consider that you're often playing twice as many hands in a lowball game than you are in a regular game of cribbage.

• Android cribbage apps   8 years 39 weeks ago

Hey Josh,

No, it's quite OK to post that, and thanks for letting us know! Maybe some of our Android users will review the game and post comments here. I can't test it out myself but I look forward to hearing the results!

• Android cribbage apps   8 years 39 weeks ago

First, if this post is not appropriate here, please let me know and/or remove it and I fully understand.

Seeing your post, I wanted to let you know that we (Fuller Systems) have recently published a new Cribbage game to the Android Market - "Cribbage Pro". We have tried to address the deficiencies we have seen in other cribbage games, and think you will find this version to be much improved. Also, we are still in beta and building out new features so please send us feedback on anything and everything!

To download Cribbage Pro for the Android, visit our web site and click the link to the market if you are browsing on your phone, otherwise search for us in the market for "Cribbage Pro".

Thanks,
    Josh

• Counting Cards - new Player   8 years 39 weeks ago

Thank you. I see what I did wrong now.

• Counting Cards - new Player   8 years 39 weeks ago

Hi Jeff,

A 3-3-6-6 hand gives you two 15s (3-6-6 two ways) and two pairs, for 8 points. So the game was a little short on the count!

• Counting Cards - new Player   8 years 39 weeks ago

I am new to cribbage. I am playing a cribbage game on my iTouch. I had a 6H, 3H, 6C, 3C in my hand and the turn card was a QC. I thought I had 12 points but the game told me I only had 6 points. Am I wrong?

• Cribbage board   8 years 39 weeks ago

Cribbage looks like the perfect example of vintage board games. Please do consider creating a group for fans of it on Sophistigames.

• Penalties in cribbage   8 years 40 weeks ago

In addition to the 2 points per card the player could have played, their opponent also has the option to determine if she wants the reneged cards to be dead or to remain in play. Very often the opponent will get an extra few points in pegging because of this.

I've judged two separate situations in the past month where reneging has cost the player the match due to this. Always painful to see, as it's very often the person not expecting a go to be coming to them.

• Cribbage rules   8 years 40 weeks ago

Kim,

You didn't mention what the turn-up card was, but I'm assuming it doesn't affect the score. To count the 15s in this hand you know you need the 9, and you need to make 6 with a combination of other cards. You have three 3s, so any two of those 3s would do to help make 15. There are three ways to pick any two from three (try it if you don't believe me!), so there are three 15s in this hand, for 6 points.

In addition you have three of a kind (sometimes called a pair royal), which for the same reason as we just saw, counts as three pairs, for another 6 points, that's 12 total.

I hope this helps!

• Double and triple runs   8 years 40 weeks ago

Very good post, thanks a lot.

• Cribbage rules   8 years 40 weeks ago

I have three, 3's and a 9 in my hand do i count 10 or 12

• What are the odds of cutting a "ten" card in cribbage?   8 years 40 weeks ago

Here's one way to look at it. In each suit of 13 cards there are four ten-cards. (10, J, Q, K). So the odds of any randomly-chosen card being a ten-card are 4 in 13, or roughly 1 in 3. Dealing out the hands does not change the distribution of ten-cards, so the chances of cutting a ten-card remain the same after the deal as before: 1 in 3.

• Cribbage rules   8 years 40 weeks ago

Although you can score a 4-point flush in the hand, in the crib all 5 cards must be the same suit. See our cribbage flush page for more details!

• Cribbage rules   8 years 40 weeks ago

must all 5 cards in the crib be the same suit to score the 5 points for a flush?

• Cribbage etiquette   8 years 40 weeks ago

Hi Paula

Runs don't have to be in numerical order to score points. Although 6-7-4 is not a run, adding the 5 completes a 4-card run, and so scores 4.

I hope this helps!
    Doris

• Cribbage etiquette   8 years 40 weeks ago

Dear Doris,
    We have a continual debate about how to score runs in cribbage.

Suppose that the following cards were played:

6 - 7 - 4 - 5

While I don't think this is a run, the computerized version of cribbage on line will give you the 4 points for this run. Is this correct?

Any help you can lend would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Paula

• BlackBerry cribbage   8 years 40 weeks ago

MagMic Cribbage.

I purchased this for my BB. I don't recommend it. It has a crude pegging algorithm and no concept of positional play.

• Counting 7-7-7-7-A   8 years 41 weeks ago

Mira,

9-10-J-Q-K is a five-card run, not three separate 3-card runs, so it scores 5.

The answer to your second question is no - Aces are low in cribbage so A-K-Q is not a run.

• Counting 7-7-7-7-A   8 years 41 weeks ago

I have two questions...
    1: in a hand of K,Q,J,10 and a 9 as the starter. Could you count it as three Runs, adding up to a score of 9, or would it just be a five card Run, adding up to 5 points?
    2:can a A,K,Q be a three card run or does it only play with a A,2,3,4,5?

• Android cribbage apps   8 years 41 weeks ago

As much as I'd love to have a good cribbage game on my Android as there is on the iPhone, this is far from it. Although it does play a legal game, I win against it 4 out of 5 times or better, and a couple of those are skunks. If you have an opponent that just knows the rules, this there is enough randomness in Cribbage that this should be almost impossible to do, but there it is.

I just played a game where it kept 4 points for his hand, but threw a pair of jacks in my crib, giving me a 16 point crib. I often have big cribs due to the computer's help, and the amount of poor card choices during the play is just staggering.

Yes, I can pound through a game pretty quickly, but I need my opponent to at least put up a little fight, and I'm not really that good. I wouldn't recommend this game, but it's the only thing out there right now.

--Lance

• "corners" on the cribbage board   8 years 42 weeks ago

Thanks Sam - I suspected that might be it. I've created a new corners page for the site to reflect this.

• "corners" on the cribbage board   8 years 42 weeks ago

The basic cribbage board consists of four parallel rows of thirty holes with two "storage" holes to hold the pegs before play begins. Two rows are on one side of the board and two on the other, each player owning one pair of tracks.

The standard game consists of one hundred twenty one points which are marked by each player advancing his scoring pegs up the outer of his two tracks as he pegs in play and scores his hand or crib. When the score reaches thirty the player's peg is at the top of the column. The next point scored moves the peg to the inside track and progresses downward from there. Between hole thirty and thirty one the player "turns a corner".

In some games, especially if a wager is involved, a bonus might be offered for the first player to reach a corner, thus the option to count them.

A corner also defines the "street" or column being travelled. For instance, the first thirty points is referred to "First Street" and after turning the corner the player is said to be on "Second Street" and so forth unto Fourth Street and "Out."

• scoring runs during play?   8 years 43 weeks ago

Yes, it does - and if someone else was to play a 4 giving 5-6-3-4 they would score another 4 points.

• scoring runs during play?   8 years 43 weeks ago

Example
    3-4-5-6 = 4pts

if a player adds a 3 for a 4-5-6-3 does this count as another run of 4?