• Scoring a 29 hand   7 years 5 weeks ago

I'm confused about the way 4 fives can be used to make 4 combinations of 15. I'll refer to the fives as S (spade), C (club), H (heard) and D (diamond). 1=SCH / 2=SCD / 3=CHD. What is the fourth I am missing?

Thanks!

• Cribbage rules - the play   7 years 6 weeks ago

Just a pair. There are no double, double-double or triple runs in play.

• Odds of a 29 hand in cribbage   7 years 6 weeks ago

I retract that last comment. The odds are unaffected by where the deck is cut. My bad.

• Scoring 15   7 years 6 weeks ago

8+A+6=15.

So you would count

8,A,6 for 2 (first 8, first Ace)
    8,A,6 for 4 (first 8, second Ace)
    8,A,6 for 6 (second 8, first Ace)
    8,A,6 for 8 (second 8, second Ace)
    and two pairs for 12.

I've looked for an online cribbage calculator for you, but all the results were BS robo-matches to get me to the stupid shareware sites, without a single real, actual cribbage calculator.

So, sorry, you're just going to have to learn to count better. It will make you a better player,anyway.

• Cribbage rules - the scoring   7 years 8 weeks ago

There's one 15 (using all 4 cards) and a pair for 2 more points.

4 points.

• Odds of a 29 hand in cribbage   7 years 8 weeks ago

These odds don't appear to take into account how people cut for the Starter Card. Most people cut near the middle of the deck. It's pretty unusual for someone to cut just the top 2 cards, for instance.

So, the 5 Starter Card generally needs to be in the "sweet spot" near the middle of the deck. If it's the top card or the bottom card, it cannot be cut at all. This fact makes it even less likely than the odds stated above, but I don't know how such a "flexible" event can be calculated.

• Cribbage rules - the scoring   7 years 8 weeks ago

A double-run of 4 is worth 10 points (2 runs of 4 for 8, plus the pair for 2).

There are two 15s (7-8, 7-8) for 4 more points.

14 points.

• Cribbage rules - the play   7 years 8 weeks ago

Well, I don't play much 3-hand Crib, but in 2-hand Crib, there are no double runs during pegging. So, it would be just the pair.

• Cribbage rules - the scoring   7 years 8 weeks ago

Yep, 15. Admin is wrong. 9 points for the three runs of 3, plus 6 for the 3-of-a-kind (which is 3 pairs).

• Cribbage rules - example hands   7 years 8 weeks ago

Sorry, I see only one 15: 5-5-5. Where are you getting the other two 15s?

• New Game, Based On Cribbage   7 years 8 weeks ago

Since I first posted this, I've changed a couple of rules, including one MAJOR change (eliminating the Absolute Zero Round, adding the rule that players can move the peg either direction). Having played several games with the new rules, I'm confident that the game is 99% complete. There are still a couple of debatable points, but the game as it is is very playable and very enjoyable. Please, take the time to read the rules, play a few games, and let me know what you think.

Adam

• the play and runs   7 years 8 weeks ago

No. You do not count double-runs during pegging. Only when you count your hand after pegging.

• hep counting   7 years 8 weeks ago

The 3 sixes give you 3 pairs for 6 points.
    Each of those pairs plus the 3 give you three 15s for 6 more points.

So, 12 points.

• Cribbage rules - the scoring   7 years 8 weeks ago

That is correct! 15-2, 15-4, 15-6, and three of a kind makes 12.

• Cribbage rules - the scoring   7 years 8 weeks ago

That is correct! 15-2, 15-4, 15-6, and three of a kind makes 12.

• Cribbage rules - the scoring   7 years 8 weeks ago

That is correct! 15-2, 15-4, 15-6, and three of a kind makes 12.

• Cribbage rules - the play   7 years 10 weeks ago

This is for 3 player cribbage.
    The play sequence
    5, 6, 7, 7

The first 7 is worth 1 run of 3. What is the second 7 worth?

The two ways to look at it are

A) Just a pair

or

B) A pair and also 2 runs of three?

• High Hand Pegging question   7 years 10 weeks ago

I'm guessing it means the person who scored the highest hand in the game. In some tournaments there is a special prize for this.

• Join Cribbage Corner now - free!   7 years 10 weeks ago

You very much messed up the scoring in play. You never score multiple runs in play, so when he played the ace, he should have gotten 3 for the run and 2 for fifteen, totalling 5 points.
    The hands were scored correctly, A233+A is 16 and 2334+A is 10.

• Cribbage rules - the go   7 years 10 weeks ago

Nick,

Would RJM also get another point for receiving a "go" before laying the last 2 aces? Total = 11 points?

• Cribbage rules - example hands   7 years 11 weeks ago

Your lovely lady is right.

You can make a 3-4-5 run three ways (once with each of the 5s), each worth three points for a total of nine.

You can make a 15 only one way (5-5-5), for two points.

And you can make three different pairs when you have three cards the same, for 6 points.

9 + 2 + 6 = 17.

How did you get 24?

• Cribbage Chat Room   7 years 12 weeks ago

I had back to back 20 point hands - What are the odds?
    The first hand I had 2 sevens and 2 eights and the cut was seven.
    The second hand I had 2 sevens and 2 eights and the cut was eight.

• Cribbage rules - example hands   7 years 12 weeks ago

there is 15-2 15-4 15-6 and a triple run is a total of 21

• How many 24 hands are there?   7 years 12 weeks ago

As far as I know, the 24 hands are 33339, 44447, 66663, 7777A, 45566, 44566, 44556, 67788, 77889. If you take into account the different suits, there are 4 ways to get each of the first 4 listed, and 144 ways to get each of the other 5. For example: in the 33339 hand, there is only one way to choose the 3s, and 4 ways to choose the 9. This gives 4 ways to get the 33339 hand. In the 45566 hand, there are 4 ways to choose the 4, 6 ways to choose 5s and 6 ways to choose 6s. This gives 4x6x6=144 ways to get that particular 24 hand. The others use the same argument. This makes 4x4+5x144=736 different 24 hands. If you care about what card is cut then the figure changes by a factor of 5. For example: if you consider 3h 3d 3c 3s with 9h cut to be a different hand than 3h 3d 3c 9h with 3s cut, the number of 24 hands will be 5x736=3680. I will run a program to check it for sure because I am not sure if I got all of the base hands right, though I am confident.

• Join Cribbage Corner now - free!   7 years 13 weeks ago

I taught my 11 year old son to play a few weeks ago and he is really taken with the game.

On Sunday, he had an amazing hand and I want to make sure the I taught him how to score it correctly.

his hand: A 2 3 3
    my hand: 2 3 3 4
    cut: A

I lead the 3
    he played his 3 to make 6 and peg 2 points
    I played my 3 to make 9 and peg 6 points
    he played his 3 to make 12 and peg 12 points,

so then there were 4 threes played in a row. I could play my 4 or 2, opening up the chance for a run.

I played my 2 for 14,
    and he played his ace for 15, and 2 points, and a quadruple run, 3,3,3,3,2,A for 24 points!!

I played my 4 for 19
    and he played his 2 for last card and a point,

so, he pegged 41 points!! is this correct??

and then I scored 10 for my double run

and he scored 16 for a double double run,

so he got 57 points, and I don't even remember what the crib was.

Did I mess up the scoring, or was this an incredible hand?