• Stinkhole   6 years 10 weeks ago

This is the rule I have been looking for an answer to. Tyvm!
    Took me about 40 mins to get a straight answer because, it says
    Nothing about it specifically in the rules. It states with
    confusion, if looking for the rule, something about "a player should Peg out
    To claim the win". However, it doesn't clearly state that when
    In the stinkhole you can't use your hand to score. I've played
    Using this rule my entire life and was looking for verification
    On the rule because this is how four generations in my family
    And another family both play which, date back into the late
    1890's with my great grandparents. I'm astounded so few people
    Play with this rule... What's so "bad" about the stinkhole if
    You don't have to peg out during the pegging round to win the
    Game when caught in the stinkhole? Doesn't really stink that
    Much anymore. Although it adds another touch of depth to the
    Game when you have to peg out of the stinkhole without using
    The points in your hand, or crib if its yours.
    Sorry if this comes out choppy, I'm using a blackberry smrtphn
    And it just keeps writing in the top line, so when the screen
    is full I'm just hitting enter so I can still see it all.
    Thanks again!

• Stinkhole   6 years 10 weeks ago

This is the rule I have been looking for an answer to. Tyvm!
    Took me about 40 mins to get a straight answer because, it says
    Nothing about it specifically in the rules. It states with
    confusion, if looking for the rule, something about "a player should Peg out
    To claim the win". However, it doesn't clearly state that when
    In the stinkhole you can't use your hand to score. I've played
    Using this rule my entire life and was looking for verification
    On the rule because this is how four generations in my family
    And another family both play which, date back into the late
    1890's with my great grandparents. I'm astounded so few people
    Play with this rule... What's so "bad" about the stinkhole if
    You don't have to peg out during the pegging round to win the
    Game when caught in the stinkhole? Doesn't really stink that
    Much anymore. Although it adds another touch of depth to the
    Game when you have to peg out of the stinkhole without using
    The points in your hand, or crib if its yours.
    Sorry if this comes out choppy, I'm using a blackberry smrtphn
    And it just keeps writing in the top line, so when the screen
    is full I'm just hitting enter so I can still see it all.
    Thanks again!

• Century cribbage board   6 years 10 weeks ago

I would also be very curious as to how this is officially played. I have one of these boards and we have just made up the rules, but I would love to know how we are actually supposed to do it.

How we play:

We play up to 968 points (that's 8 times around the board) because the point board will only let you keep track to 999.

Play is continuous, so if you win a game and have a huge hand, you peg through into the next game.

Each time you beat your opponent over the 121 line, you peg a win. If you get over with your opponent behind the skunk line, you peg two wins and a skunk.

As this is usually played over a few sessions, we record the score in the points box using three pegs. (ex. for 368 points, you place a peg in the 300, one in the 60 and another in the 8) This way, if someone wants to play a quick one-round game in the meantime, they can use the board without losing your place. We also finish each session on the leader's crib, so that when we start again we know that it is the person who is behind who gets the crib.

First person to get to 968 wins the overall game, but there are bragging rights for having more skunks or wins in the board.

We don't use the "legs" spots at all. I guess this is for recording who gets past each leg first, but seems excessive to me.

All in all it makes for a pretty epic game and with 4 players (playing partners) it makes for a pretty fun afternoon.

Again, I would be very grateful if someone could explain how we are actually supposed to use it.

• Century cribbage board   6 years 10 weeks ago

How we play:

• Scoring a hand   6 years 12 weeks ago

3555Q scores 15-8 and 3 pairs for 14 points; there are 4 ways to make 15: Q5 (for each of the three 5's) and 555, and 3 ways to make a pair (three ways to pick two of three 5s)

778AA is 15-8 and 2 pairs for 12 points. You can make 15s by 78 twice (two different sevens) and 77A twice (two different aces). Then you add 4 more points for the 77 and AA.

Hope this helps.

• Paying 120 on a 60 hole board   6 years 15 weeks ago

Hi, Not an answer, sorry. The same question asked differently. I am new to Cribbage, I have a 60 hole board. Does it ever happen that you get confused if on the first time round or the second - say 25 not 75. Maybe after a few drinks, late night or just after rescuing the roast.

• 500 Cribbage   6 years 16 weeks ago

I have a 500 cribbage thomas system board.
    This board appears to be comercailly made and has a Thomas system logo on the bottom.
    There are seperate tracks marked C for crib
    H for hand and P for pegging.
    There are 30 points on the crib and pegging track and 60 points for the hand track.
    I have been trying to find the rules for this board just to complete the game.

• Cribbage Chat Room   6 years 19 weeks ago

the "go" has already been established by player one. no other "go"'s need to be said. you said player 2 played one the go with one card left. the next play depends on the count. If the cound is low enough for player 2 to play the second card, it's played without player one saying go again. it player 2's last card puts the count over 31, then player 2 get's one point for the card played, 2 points if it added to 31. then player 2 plays the last card in had for one more point.

• The 29 hand in cribbage   6 years 19 weeks ago

You (and your opponent)should have kept the 6,7,8,9. because the hand you kept scores 15 for 2 (7 plus 8) and a run for 4 (5,6,7,8) for a total of 6 points without counting the up-turn card. Had you kept the 6,7,8,9 you would have 15 for 2 (7 plus 8) and another 15 for 2 (6 plus 9) and run of 4 (6,7,8,9) for a total of 8 points. Who cares what the odds are. I will tell you the odds of two people both discarding the wrong cards are a hell of alot better than both people keeping the same thing. but one will say, well, the odds of flipping up a 10 point card on the up-turn are greater which would give me another 15(10 plus the 5 in your original hand) no shit, there are more 10 point cards in the deck genious. but by keeping the hand you should have a ten would give you 6,7,8,9,10 for five and 15 for two and another fifteen for four for a total of nine. your hand would have been 5,6,7,8,10 which is 15 for two and another 15 15 for four and four for the strait for a total of eight. any other 10 pointer would have gave you 8. so not only did you short yourself 1 or 2 points, you shorted yourself, or your partner, better odds of getting one of many 10 pointers left of possibly a five on the upturn which would also be nine. think further, the crib hand would have 4,5,3,5 with a five or a ten as the upturn you would have screwed that up too. a five showing up you would have 15 for 2, trips for another 6, 3 straits for another 9. thats another 17 points you may have wasted. or if a ten pointer showed up the crib hand would be 4,5,3,5 ?=10 for a total of fifteen for 2 another fifteen for 2 more, two straits for 6 more for a total of 10 plus possibly the nibs for 11 total.

• The 29 hand in cribbage   6 years 19 weeks ago

Cal, You (and your opponent) should have kept the 6,7,8,9. because the hand you kept scores 15 for 2 (7 plus 8) and a run for 4 (5,6,7,8) for a total of 6 points without counting the up-turn card. Had you kept the 6,7,8,9 you would have 15 for 2 (7 plus 8) and another 15 for 2 (6 plus 9) and run of 4 (6,7,8,9) for a total of 8 points. Who cares what the odds are. I will tell you the odds of two people both discarding the wrong cards are a hell of alot better than both people keeping the same thing. but one will say, well, the odds of flipping up a 10 point card on the up-turn are greater which would give me another 15(10 plus the 5 in your original hand) no shit, there are more 10 point cards in the deck genious. but by keeping the hand you should have a ten would give you 6,7,8,9,10 for five and 15 for two and another fifteen for four for a total of nine. your hand would have been 5,6,7,8,10 which is 15 for two and another 15 15 for four and four for the strait for a total of eight. any other 10 pointer would have gave you 8. so not only did you short yourself 1 or 2 points, you shorted yourself, or your partner, better odds of getting one of many 10 pointers left of possibly a five on the upturn which would also be nine. think further, the crib hand would have 4,5,3,5 with a five or a ten as the upturn you would have screwed that up too. a five showing up you would have 15 for 2, trips for another 6, 3 straits for another 9. thats another 17 points you may have wasted. or if a ten pointer showed up the crib hand would be 4,5,3,5 ?=10 for a total of fifteen for 2 another fifteen for 2 more, two straits for 6 more for a total of 10 plus possibly the nibs for 11 total.

• The 29 hand in cribbage   6 years 19 weeks ago

• The 29 hand in cribbage   6 years 19 weeks ago

• Cribbage squares   6 years 20 weeks ago

I think the total score is 147 if you could the nibs one for the column and one for the rows and then of course one of the flushes would have to align with the cut 5 so there is 5 points for that column.
    I counted it a couple times but that is what I got.
    All 15's = 64
    All pairs = 48
    All runs = 16
    All flushes = 17
    nibs = 2

• Cribbage rules - the scoring   6 years 22 weeks ago

Depending on what city you are in my Canadian friend please visit www.cribbage.org to view clubs and tournaments (real cards) that you might want to include yourself in. We had many, many Canadians from Edmonton, Vancouver, Kelowna etc at the Montana Open Championship this last weekend. Join a local club. Play in tournaments. You would have a blast.

• Cribbage rules - the scoring   6 years 22 weeks ago

You must be from the UK. Nobody in North America plays a standard 5 card cribbage game. While their are variations of the game the American Cribbage Congress has set rules and formats and 5 cards is not one of them. Additionally, what you were speaking of is Muggins where you count unclaimed points from the the other player. That is rarely played as their are already penalties for overcounting your hand and you incur a penalty already for not counting all of your points (by not moving down the board). See cribbage.org for more information from the official cribbage website.

• Cribbage rules - the scoring   6 years 22 weeks ago

Assuming the count starts at zero, a play of 4-5-6 in any order is worth 5 points to the player playing the last of those three cards. 3 pts for the run and two for the 15. See cribbage rules at cribbage.org for more information.

• Cribbage rules - the scoring   6 years 22 weeks ago

In my opinion, and under all the rules I've read, a run of '4-5-6' counts as five points: a 'run of 3' for three points plus two more for reaching '15'. It's the same as if an Ace was led, followed by two '7's; the player who led with the Ace and played the second '7' would score two points for the pair and two more for the reaching of '15', for a total of four points.

'House' variations are allowed, but since you're asking for a comparison of 'their' rules vs. the 'norm', I'd have to say that your relatives are wrong in this instance.

• Cribbage rules - the scoring   6 years 22 weeks ago

I grew up playing cribbage with my grandfather and his friends. They always counted a run of 456 as only 3 points. The explained that you can never count the same combination of cards as two things (4-5-6 is a run of 3, but also adds up to 15) ,therefore, they counted a 456 for 3 points for the run and always neglected the 2 points for 15. In their minds, you can count the 4-5-6 combo as a run of 3, but then cannot count the same 4-5-6 combo as a 15 too. Everywhere else I have played, online or otherwise, has counted the 456 as 5 points. So which is it? Is the 456 worth 5 points or 3? Have my grandfather and his friends been wrong all this time?

• Cribbage rules - the scoring   6 years 22 weeks ago

I grew up playing cribbage with my grandfather and his friends. They always counted a run of 456 as only 3 points. They explained that you can never count the same combination of cards as two things (4-5-6 is a run of 3, but also adds up to 15) ,therefore, they counted a 456 for 3 points for the run and always neglected the 2 points for 15. In their minds, you can count the 4-5-6 combo as a run of 3, but then cannot count the same 4-5-6 combo as a 15 too. Everywhere else I have played, online or otherwise, has counted the 456 as 5 points. So which is it? Is the 456 worth 5 points or 3? Have my grandfather and his friends been wrong all this time?

• Cribbage rules - the scoring   6 years 22 weeks ago

Yea that's what I thought. And it is a standard 2 person (6 card game) it is Cribbage pro on the Android market. Josh fuller the developer of the game has been around this site and forums. In case anyone wants to see for themselves. His name is jpuljas and he is #37 on the top 50 you can also see this from the app on Apple. The top 50 is for both. My name there is OafHuck and currently #34. Thanks for everyone's replies. And if you know of any other good sites to play crib I'm always interested.

• Cribbage rules - the scoring   6 years 23 weeks ago

A higher score than 30 is possible, if the '49-point player' is alllowed to peg their opponent's unclaimed points. As to what the max score would be, I'm not sure, even assuming that ALL of the opponent's points were claimed and it was a 'six-card' game (vs. the standard five).

• Cribbage rules - the scoring   6 years 23 weeks ago

Same thing with the 7,7,7,7,A

Look at this with colors (it is easier for me that way)and put each one in a square with the 3 in the middle.

You have two black 6's and two red 6's.

6S 6C

6H 6D

Now work around the board clockwise starting with the 6S. So the first sequence would be 6S/6C/6D/6H or 15-6. (6pts)
    Next move to the upper right corner 6C/6D/6H 15-10 (4 pts)
    Lastly move to the lower right corner 6D/6H 15-12 (2 pts) For a total of 12 pts + 12 for the quads equals 24

• Cribbage rules - the scoring   6 years 23 weeks ago

I believe the highest you can peg in a normal two-person 6 card game would be 30 points. Both players would have to be holding the same cards (5,5,7,7) as an example. You are the dealer and the pone leads a 7. You pair for 2 and get the quad for 12 and the go for a total of 15. Same thing happens with the 5's for a total of 30. To get 49 in pegging it is either a glitch or playing some variation of the game that is not normally played.

• Cribbage rules - the scoring   6 years 23 weeks ago

Even assuming that the person was playing the '5 cards in the hand' variant, I can't find a way to reach 49 points (without including the points from scoring the hand/crib).

• Cribbage rules - the scoring   6 years 23 weeks ago

Hey there. Nice site. I have a question that's boggeling my mind. I'm not new to crib. I play on an app on the Android market on my phone and in someone's stats they have 49 points for pegging in a single hand. This does not include the point value for the hand itself. What combination would you need if it is possible. Or I'm thinking this is a glitch in the game.