• 500 Cribbage   5 weeks 5 days ago

Having learned with the same boards as my sister (also posted here) I have found the go at 34 to be so much better than 31, that I prefer to play regular cribbage that way. It gives much better play with face cards, as 31 overemphasizes the value of an ace, but does not allow a Face,5,Face,Face. Even better, Face, 5, Face risks a 9, making this a play you have to think about. What I like best is that some complicated run patterns can be filled to the go: 8,7,10,9 is a good challenge both to make and avoid in the 4 hand game.

• How to score this hand?   5 weeks 6 days ago

That crib would score 15 - three runs and a tripple

• How to score this hand?   6 weeks 8 hours ago

I had 4 twos in my hand and a 9 was turned up, how many points is it?

• Cribbage rules - the basics   7 weeks 12 hours ago

I've been playing cribbage as long as you have and I agree with you 100%. My father taught me the game when I was 10 years old. He said if you offered your opponent a cut you lost the deal and consequently your crib.

I suppose the rules have been twisted and bent pretty much over the years but I'm sticking with how I was taught.

• How to score this hand?   7 weeks 1 day ago

3 runs of 5-6-7 for 9 points
    + three of a kind for 6 = 15 points

• The discard   7 weeks 6 days ago

hilarious!!

• Double and triple runs   8 weeks 1 day ago

You have "a 16 without A 15"

• Double and triple runs   8 weeks 1 day ago

You have a "16 without a 15"

• Cribbage rules - the scoring   8 weeks 4 days ago

I was told that if I have a 5 card flush with a jack I
    can only score 5 points, the jack in this case does not count for the extra point.

is this correct ??

• Cribbage rules - the scoring   8 weeks 4 days ago

I was told that if I have a 5 card flush with a jack I

is this correct ??

• scoring runs during play?   8 weeks 4 days ago

If the last X cards to be played make a run of X cards in any order, then you score X points.

Substitute 6 for X in the above sentence... You have a run of 6.

• Question?   8 weeks 4 days ago

I would throw 3-6 in my opponent's crib, keeping 3-3-4-5 for 10 points.

If I'm the dealer, I will usually do the same, but depending on the situation, I might...

Keep 3-4-5-6 for 7 points + 2 in my crib, giving me more pegging options in a tight endgame situation.

If I'm behind by a big margin, I will keep 3-3-3-6 with 4-5 in my crib, and get on my knees... the miracle might come in the form of a 6 starter card, which would turn my hand into a 14-count, and 5 in the crib plus whatever opponent is putting into it.

And this is an opponent who is likely not to hold a 5, and thus likely to find their face cards worthless...

• scoring runs during play?   8 weeks 4 days ago

No, a "go" breaks the sequence of cards played.

As a reminder, you may want to flip the played cards face-down after a 31 or a "go". This means the played cards can't be used to make runs!

• Scoring a hand   8 weeks 4 days ago

10-J-Q1-Q2 + Q3 is a triple run which is worth 15 pts:

10-J-Q1 is a run (3)
    10-J-Q2 is another run (3)
    10-J-Q3 is another run (3)
    Q1-Q2 is a pair (2)
    Q1-Q3 is a pair (2)
    Q2-Q3 is a pair (2)
    ______________________

Total 15 pts.

• impossible scores   8 weeks 4 days ago

You don't get to count "4 for hearts" because you don't have four hearts in your hand.

Total = 15 pts.

• Double and triple runs   8 weeks 4 days ago

That's a "quadruple run" - there are four different ways to make a run of three cards, for example if your cards are 4 of hearts, 4 of spades, 5 of hearts, 5 of spades, 6 of diamonds you get:

3 pts for 4h-5h-6d
    3 pts for 4s-5h-6d
    3 pts for 4h-5s-6d
    3 pts for 4s-5s-6d
    Total = 12 pts for the runs

In addition, you have 4 pts for the two pairs. So any quadruple run is worth 16 pts for runs and pairs:

1-2-2-3-3 = 16 pts
    10-10-J-Q-Q = 16 pts

But wait, we haven't counted the fifteens yet!

With 4-4-5-5-6, there are four ways to make 15 (taking one of the 4's, one of the 5's and a 6) so that's worth an extra 8 pts.

Total = 24 pts!

• scoring runs during play?   8 weeks 6 days ago

You actually score 4 plus an extra 1 for the "go". The run was 2-3-4-5

• scoring runs during play?   8 weeks 6 days ago

Katy, the run was never broken. The only way to break a run is to play a card that has already been played. The ace just set it up so that the 2 could be played. What would have been even more fun was if this happened: 3, 4, 5, 6, Ace, 7 and THEN play your 2. Even though neither the Ace or the 7 contributed to the 3, 4, 5, 6 run, they both set it up for a run of 7. (which is the highest run you can get)

• scoring runs during play?   8 weeks 6 days ago

It actually gives you a run of 4 and last card. 5, 2, 3, 4, 5. The start and the finish both have uninterrupted runs of 4.

• Double and triple runs   8 weeks 6 days ago
    ??

What is your question. The score of that hand is 24

• Cribbage rules   8 weeks 6 days ago
    31?

Scoring to 31 only gives you points when you are pegging, not in your hands.

• Cribbage rules - the scoring   8 weeks 6 days ago

Where would you like to go?

• Cribbage rules - the scoring   8 weeks 6 days ago

We do not give points for getting to 20. Only 15 and you did not have a pair.

• Cribbage rules - the scoring   8 weeks 6 days ago

No. You must take the largest possible run once. That example is a run of 4.

• Cribbage rules - the scoring   8 weeks 6 days ago

If someone misses scoring a run, it doesn't "go" to anyone. They just missed it. If the next player can continue the run of either 3 or 4, then they can take it, but you don't get to claim someone else's points unless you are playing muggins.