• Playing for money   4 days 15 hours ago

My friend showed me how. It's pretty ruthless though:

$2.00 for the win (first to 121)
    1-5 cents a peg (we don't have pennies in Canada anymore, so it would be a nickel)

Then, skunk and double skunk wins get 2X and 3X the money, respectively.

Ex. You win the game 121-111. You win $2.50, $2 for the win and $0.50 for the 10 pegs.
    But if you win 121-81, you win $8.00 even. ($2 for the win + $2 for the pegs)X 2 for the skunk.

I don't think there are any hard-and-fast gambling rules for crib, so you could make your own adjustments, but I think this is the basic template. Hope you make some hay!

• Please count my hand   5 days 14 hours ago

We totally our scores in our hand and I have (3) 4’s in my hand and the starter card is a 7. How many different 15
    s may I get? Thanks.

• Please count my hand   5 days 20 hours ago

9, 4, 4, 2 and 2

I came up with 20.

• Your 29 hand stories   6 days 25 min ago

I was taught the game 60 years ago by my father, Bert, when I was about 10. I don't remember beating him at it (he probably threw me a game from time to time). I think that his rules were standard; he wouldn't allow 4-card flushes in the box (as we called the crib); he wouldn't allow the dealer to win the game by cutting a jack; he probably played Muggins! with his friends but not with me.

Forty years ago I played hundreds of games over a few weeks with my friend, Vincent. I'm sure that each of us had more than one 28-point hand, and I believe that at least one 29-pointer turned up. That's a high number of rare events in such a (statistically) small number of games. We shuffled and cut before each deal but our shuffles probably weren't perfect, so the deck probably got hotter and hotter.

In the last couple of years I've played more than 4,000 games of Cribbage Classic For Windows 10. The biggest hand so far is 24 points, which is not uncommon.

I'm impressed by this (free) program. It's well designed, enjoyable to use and it plays skilfully (albeit with some strange blind spots in pegging). It keeps some historical statistics and has recently introduced an interesting discard-analysis tool.

I've won 54.21% of 4,400 games:
    Average hand score 8.0
    Average crib score 4.7
    Average pegging score 3.2
    I don't know if these are my averages scores or the averages of all play.

The program worships at The Temple of The Skunk: it credits me with 385 (from 2,386 wins). It doesn't recognise Double-Skunks (known to me as The Lurch); these are very infrequent -- I don't believe that I've scored or suffered more than a couple.

I'm surprised that (so far) I'm a clear winner: IMHO the program should be very much better than me at selecting hands and discards, whether by calculation or by using look-up tables. A skilful human might (just) be craftier at pegging than a program but, again, calculation and look-ups should give the program an advantage. The pegging is a (numerically) minor part of the game, anyway, as the average scores show.

• Stinkhole   1 week 4 days ago

Hey if you are three away from the finish hole and you get a pair off the other player and then a go does that mean you get straight into the finish hole or do you hit the stink cause of the pair first or does the pair and the go fit together????

• Cribbage Chat Room   1 week 5 days ago

If you were to five 5s in crabbahe how many 15s is that? If u have 5 of any number how many pairs is that?

• Penalties in cribbage   2 weeks 1 day ago

Can u cut to the 2nd to last card in pile

• How to score this hand?   2 weeks 1 day ago

Crib hand 9 9 10 J turn 9 what is my count

• Please count my hand   2 weeks 2 days ago

The hand had 9661 and a six turned up what does this add up to?

• Flush Woes   2 weeks 5 days ago

Those are the overall odds Dwight. Just like any odds, you might get one back-to-back and not see one for another 2000 cribs. Remember, it is 700 cribs, not 700 hands. You normally only get to see about 5 or 6 cribs per game. So about 150 games or so, you will see a crib flush. That is almost 40 straight hours of playing

• Which card must be played towards a 31?   2 weeks 5 days ago

They can play the card of their choice.

• Cribbage rules - the scoring   2 weeks 5 days ago

I believe you are correct. You lay one card at a time and score each card successively.

• Please score this for me   2 weeks 6 days ago

Just one. It takes all four cards to add up to 15, so there is obviously only one way to do it.

But what is the starter card?

• Please score this for me   2 weeks 6 days ago

Player 2 pegs another 8 points. You peg points every time a new card is played. Let's look at the sequence...

p1: ace, count=29
    p2: ace for 2, count=30
    p1: Go
    p2: ace for 6 (three of a kind) + 2 for 31

• Please count my hand   3 weeks 4 hours ago

17 is your answer 555=6 (3pair)
    534=3*3=9(cause 3 5’s)
    555= 2(15 for2)
    Boom 17

• Cribbage rules - the play   3 weeks 7 hours ago

Great, thank you! It has been a few months since I asked this, but we are playing like this since then. It's a great game, we love it. I know cribbage.org but I couldn't find a rule regarding my problem back then.

• Please count my hand   3 weeks 10 hours ago

17 fifteen two and fifteen is 17

• Please score this for me   3 weeks 10 hours ago

Please peg the points that you achieve in unbroken sequences. In the situation you describe, you would peg first two points for the pair, and then 6 additional points for the trips, and then 2 more for hitting 31 exactly. The best score you can make in this scenario is actually a lot more than that. Imagine of you were holding 7, A, A, A. The non-dealer is holding all face cards and another Ace. They lead a face card, you play a 7 for seventeen, they play another face card, you play an ace to 28, they play and ace to 29 for two, you play the next two aces, first one for 6 next one for 14. You just pegged 20 points and they pegged 3 (the pair and the last card of their remaining cards)

• Cribbage rules - the scoring   3 weeks 10 hours ago

There is no cutting of a right Jack. Cutting of ANY Jack no matter where you are on the board gives you two points. You can be only one hole from going out and the cutting of ANY Jack will put you out if you are the dealer. The ONLY time you use the words 'Right Jack', is if you are holding the jack in your hand or your crib of the same suit of the starter card. (turn card). The "Right Jack" then scores one for that player.

• Cribbage rules - the play   3 weeks 10 hours ago

Yes you get to score first 6 and then peg another 12 for the quads, but don't forget to peg either a Go or 31 for two. Since they said Go, you are entitled to at least one additional point and possibly two.

• Please score this for me   3 weeks 10 hours ago

4, 4, 4, 3 seems to add to fifteen. Since you cannot use the exact same cards again in cribbage to make another sequence, you have one 15.

• Cards laid moved peg   3 weeks 10 hours ago

The ACTUAL rule says that the player reneged on their play, as they should have played the 6 instead of taking the go. This was a mistake on that player's part. If you want to follow the rules as written, the player would take his point back and you would get two points for each card they could have played as a penalty for their error. Additionally, you can call the card that they should have played either dead or alive for the remaining of the pegging (not the count of their hand). It just depends how much you want to enforce the rule. You can view those rules at cribbage.org.

• Halscrib?   3 weeks 10 hours ago

You can find Halscrib daily on dailycribbagehand.org. The owner posts there daily and you can find out more. You can also start to sharpen your skills on that site, as a new hand is posted daily and expert players talk about board position, pegging and everything in between.

• Playing for money   3 weeks 10 hours ago

There are numerous variations, and no, the winner does not win with the same score. A penny a point means the differential score. If I beat you by 20 points, then you owe me 20 cents. If you beat me by 2 then I owe you two cents. Many double it if it is a skunk. If you beat me by 33 points, then I owe you 66 cents. You can also play for game $. Say we are going to play best out of five games. We are going to play for $1 and double for a skunk and 4x for a double skunk (very rare). So you can play with points, games, skunks or whatever you want. A normal game is 1/2 or 5, but can be anything.

• Which card must be played towards a 31?   3 weeks 10 hours ago

You can play whatever card you want as long as you play one or both depending on the score. In this case you would want to play the 3, take your point and hope they play a ten card so you can get more points.